WCG Ultimate Gamer

Discussion in 'Sirlin's Articles' started by hyrrn, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hyrrn

hyrrn New Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but the Survivor thread was here, so:

http://www.scifi.com/wcgultimategamer/

Any thoughts from anyone? Is anyone watching this?

So far, it doesn't seem any more terrible than other reality TV, and it also seems to have small Survivor-type components (winners gaining voting power over losers, etc)...do you think having all pro gamers in this situation will lead to more "playing to win" or just stratification like in other Survivor-type series?

2. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

So lol...

A video game show, about real life?

even though im not watching it, I'm rooting for Geoff aka InControl, a competitive sc player, because I was told to

3. elliott20

elliott20 Member

how much you guys want to bet the guys they pick will actually be BARELY competitive at the games they've put before them?

4. FinalSlayer

FinalSlayer Banned

With the exception of Athena, who I've actually heard of, the rest of the female cast sound like they suck hardcore even at their games of expertise. A few tournament wins (as in, games won at a tourney)? Wow, impressive!

At any rate, this show looks fucking stupid. I don't want to see gamers compete in physical challenges.

That would be every bit as dumb as watching NBA players compete at video games.

5. elliott20

elliott20 Member

it might be amusing in a sort of special olympics kind of way! Imagine the fun that could be had when they pit these guys against each other in a gladitorial arena, only for half of the participants to be physically frail to actually pick up a weapon to fight with!

6. FinalSlayer

FinalSlayer Banned

That would only be amusing if there was a ringer like John Choi in the field, who would just double leg takedown everyone else in the cast, and pound them out.

7. elliott20

elliott20 Member

plus, watching people fail at doing stuff is only fun for so long.

8. Klonoa

Klonoa New Member

Which is exactly why I refuse to watch the show.

9. Kicks

Kicks Active Member

10. SpicyCrab

SpicyCrab Well-Known Member

I wish somebody would realize that there is a gaping whole in the market just waiting for a competitive ESPN style video game network with commentary on the matches and explanations of the games.

At the very least it would be the most watched show on G4 easy; if not, as I suggested, an entire network of its own. You know how many people I know who simply don't watch TV, opting to play Videogames instead? Of course you don't... but I assure you... it's a lot... of people...

11. banewlf

banewlf Well-Known Member

I thought G4 actually tried this with the CGS and it flopped horribly?

Besides, people like to play video games, not watch them. Or were you being sarcastic and my internet sarcasm meter failed me?

12. SpicyCrab

SpicyCrab Well-Known Member

No sarcasm, if G4 tried it and it flopped than they simply did it wrong.

There are scores of people who just watch match videos of their favorite games all day. There's an unserved market.

13. banewlf

banewlf Well-Known Member

Well, most of the leagues stream. From what I understand, the numbers on the streams aren't nearly high enough to justify the cost of a move to television.

While I know tons of people that play video games rather than watch tv, I know very very few people who enjoy just watching video games. I happen to be one of those people.

14. Monkorn

Monkorn Member

MLG put a Halo 2 show on TBS for the 2007 season that was pretty decent quality. In key moments of the game they would stop the action, recreate where everyone was, and explain why they were all there. It totally gave insight as to how much teamwork was going on, and made the show much better than the streaming online version they still do.

The basic problem with the model is that the basic gamer doesn't care. They would rather just play the games they love instead of watching it. And for the people who care more - of which the market is small - can go online and find exactly what they want.

As for this show, I watched the first episode and it was so bad that it got past the so bad it's good level and got back down to bad. Watching pro gamers = awesome. Watching pro gamers play a game they aren't pro at after doing the real life variation of that game? No, just no.

15. FinalSlayer

FinalSlayer Banned

16. elliott20

elliott20 Member

wow, those vids are epic

17. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

Boy do I love me some Bob Sapp. :3

18. elliott20

elliott20 Member

this guys is some ways, even MORE epic than the arnold vis